Fixing A Slow PC Huntington NY
Huntington Station, NY
Fixing A Slow PC
One of the most common and annoying problems that you can have is a COMPUTER RUNNING SLOW. It consumes your time and cuts your enjoyment and productivity. This article will walk you through the causes of this problem and give you ideas on how to fix it.
1. If it s just the start up that you are having a slow problem with, then the most probable cause to that is that you have too many programs loading automatically during start up. Most of them are probably unnecessary during start up and it is better that you run them manually only when the time comes for you to use them. The simplest way to solve this problem is to set your start up settings disable those unnecessary programs. How to do this? On the lower left side of your screen you ll see a start botton click it. A column pops up. Click on Run and then type in msconfig and press the OK button. Now a window appears. On top of it you ll find the option, startup. Click on it, and then you ll find there all the programs that are set to run automatically when you boot. Uncheck all the programs that you don t need running during start up. Unchecking them will disable their auto run settings during start up. Be advised, though, that the anti virus programs are important from start up onwards, so it is better not to uncheck them. Click OK after this, and then restart your computer to see the result.
2. Another cause for your COMPUTER RUNNING SLOW is spyware. Spyware is software that is installed into your system that invades your privacy, change your settings, and even give outside parties control over your computer. If you are not a computer whiz and you have no knowledge on how to trouble shoot such a problem, then your only choices are to reformat which is a rather extreme solution because it is a total clean up and will erase almost everything in your computer, or to use anti spyware programs. If you have enough resources, it is advisable to purchase original installers because in the net, free downloads always have risks. There, even anti spywares may be the spywares or viruses themselves.
3. Registry error can also result in your COMPUTER RUNNING SLOW. Windows registry is the control system of your computer, and registry problems may cause problems like Blue Screen Of Death, crashes, slow booting, slow shut down, and slow system performance. To solve this problem you may configure your registry yourself that s if you know what you re doing. Again, if you re not a computer whiz, then registry cleaners may help. And again, if you have the resources, then it is advisable to purchase the original installers instead of risky free downloads.
4. Yet another probable cause for your COMPUTER RUNNING SLOW is having low virtual memory. Virtual memory is where the system stores temporary data in order for the system to run. Overloading of the virtual memory would result in the system running slower. The more programs running simultaneously, the slower the system will get. You can not fix this by trouble shooting because the problem is merely a deficiency in hardware. The solution is upgrading your RAM most likely you have a low memory RAM, perhaps 32 Megabytes. About ten years ago this would have been sufficient, but nowadays, more advanced programs would demand more virtual memory to run. 128MB RAM is considered sufficient nowadays. Call your technician for help if you aren t sure how to upgrade your hardware.
5. If the above reasons are not the culprit for your COMPUTER RUNNING SLOW, it may be that your PC just needs defragmentation. As you use your computer you download and save files, and also delete from time to time. As a result, your files will be scattered throughout your system, resulting in the slower searching and processing of programs. This is where defragmentation comes in. Defragmentation arranges or sorts your current files, making them easier for the system to find, resulting in a faster and smoother pace. To defragment your hard drive, go to My Computer and right click on the hard drive. Click properties, and then a window will appear. Click tools on the upper portion of the window, and then click on defragment now. Note that this will take rather long, so do this during your idle time, or while you re taking a nap.
6. Lastly, hardware problems such as ware and tare, overheating, short circuiting, dust, and damage caused by impact can cripple your system and also cause it to run slow. In the case of dust, you can simply fix it with a brush and a blower, but if you re facing problems like ware and tare, overheating, short circuiting, and damage caused by impact, then you may have to go spend money on your technician or buy a new one.
Is your PC Freezing or Crashing? Do you need a solution TODAY? Learn exactly why your windows computer is running slow and learn how you can fix it permanently for FREE. Visit http://www.ComputerProblemFix.com to fix your computer problems TODAY!
Provided by ZingArticles.com